Human brain is a cluster of infinite nerve cells called neurons. These neurons communicate with each other through electric impulses. Epilepsy occurs when a large number of nerve cells send electric signals at the same time. This abnormal surge of intensive electric wave overwhelms the brain, resulting in seizure.
In simple way, epilepsy is a brain disorder where normal brain processes gets interrupted because of overloaded electric signals. The brain seizes to function and gets unconscious.
Understanding Seizures And Epilepsy:
Seizures are abnormal behavior or movement of body due to unusual electric surge in brain. Seizure is a symptom of epilepsy, but not everyone who appear to have seizures, have epilepsy.
Seizures include jerking movements of arms and legs, muscle spasms, strange behavior and so on.
- The brain communicates with other body organs by sending electric signals in orderly pattern.
- When these electric signals transmit abnormally, it generates an electric storm in the brain which produces seizures.
- Repetitive occurrence of seizures leads to different types of epilepsy.
- Epilepsy and seizures have parallel existence; however, they are not same.
- Epilepsy is a neurological disorder characterized by tendency of recurring seizures and other symptoms.
Major Causes Of Epilepsy In Babies:
There are numerous reasons why seizures and epilepsy occurs in babies. Following are the most common ones:
1. Premature birth has a risk of bleeding inside brain, which can cause seizure attacks and intracranial hemorrhage.
2. Babies at the time of birth, suffering from lack of oxygen in the brain, have risk of prenatal hypoxia. This can cause injury in brain and may lead to epilepsy.
3. Low glucose, sodium or calcium level in blood can cause epilepsy.
4. Infections such as encephalitis and meningitis are causes of seizures and epilepsy.
5. Babies born with an abnormal or ill-functioning brain, have high chances of epilepsy.
6. Epilepsy is often inherited from parents.
Treatment Of Epilepsy:
People often ask questions about the nature and danger of epilepsy. Is it permanent? How dangerous can it be? What are the ways of treatment available? If there is anything they can do to prevent epilepsy and so on!
1. As far as the nature of this disease is concerned, in some cases epilepsy is temporary and heals with time. Some people are able to outgrow it; however, there are some who have to battle it for life.
2. Fortunately, there are treatments to reduce the chances of seizures in epileptic kids.
3. Anticonvulsant and antiepileptic drugs are very helpful, but often have adverse effects if not prescribed in right combination. In most cases, drug therapy successfully controls epileptic seizures.
4. Your doctor may advice you certain diet to follow with the medication to escalate the process of treatment.
5. In extreme cases, surgery may be used to treat baby epilepsy. The severity and frequency of seizures depend highly on patient’s age, medical history and overall health.
Precautionary Measures To Prevent Seizures And Epilepsy:
Epilepsy is quite common in kids of younger age, and yes, it can be life threatening at times. This is why immediate medical assistance should always be around when needed. Here are some tips for babies with epilepsy:
- Keep your babies immunized to protect them from diseases that can lead to epilepsy.
- Take all precautions to avoid any traumatic brain injuries.
- It is very important for all expecting mothers to take good prenatal care during gestation period.
- If your baby is epileptic, keeping a track of seizures will be very helpful, so that you can minimize unfavorable conditions for your child.
We hope this article you regarding epilepsy in babies. Keep enjoying articles on Momjunction and stay healthy and blessed!